Veterans Affairs Debt Management Center Assistance for Vets
We realize impacts due to COVID-19 are far reaching. The Debt Management Center (DMC) is helping our Veterans and beneficiaries.
WHAT WE’RE DOING
• Suspended collections on new debts and halted issuing new debt collection letters
• Paused referral of delinquent debt to Department of the Treasury, Credit Alert Interactive Verification Reporting System, and Credit Reporting Agencies
• Offering temporary suspension of debt collection
• Providing extended payment arrangements
• Text messages sent directly to Veteran's phone accounts - 8.6M recipients
• Conducted a Borne the Battle Podcast with Public Affairs - reached 11M
• Communicated to Veterans via a letter, multiple emails, Facebook, website posts and blog updates
WHERE TO GET UPDATES
We will continue to update our website with new information regarding the COVID-19 crisis. We will announce important dates regarding resumption of debt collection activities on our website.
WHO TO CONTACT
For help with payment plans, please call us at 1-800-827-0648 or submit your online request to DMC.
Veteran Feedback on COVID Relief Efforts
"I am a 76-year old Vietman Vet who also served in Iraq and Afghanistan in a civilian capacity. The proactive nature of the letter is such a breath of fresh air. It is so thoughtful, so well written, so kind in tone, and it covers all the bases. I worked in a Minot Vet Center for a year and know how hard and long it takes to staff, approve and distribute such a letter with such huge financial implications. I cannot find the words to tell your team what a magnificent piece of work this letter represents."